Monday, January 11, 2016

Introductory Post

Hello! I'm Aaron, and I know very little about climate change and our relationship with it, but I'm excited to learn more about it with you all.

As I said in class today, I'm a junior musical theatre performer, hoping to add a minor in marketing. I'm slotted to graduate sometime in 2017 -- whether it will be in Spring or Fall, I couldn't tell you yet. I'm actually hoping that it'll be in the Fall; I want to study marketing abroad in the Netherlands at the Hogeschool Utrecht next Spring semester. A lot of my favorite art hails from the Netherlands (if anyone has read Tartt's The Goldfinch, the painting it is about is by Carel Fabritius of Delft and is housed at the Hauge - I've attached an image of it at right); it's one of the most LGBTQ+ friendly countries in the world; and I just love the language, which is like if German and English had a very alcoholic
baby.

My initial interest in this class, I won't lie, lay simply in that I need to get my credits in to graduate with honors. I was really unsure what the class would focus on initially, but now that we've had the first day to get ourselves more or less familiarized with its content, I'm very excited. I currently work in the campus bookstore, so I was able to pick up a copy of Eaarth up last week and start diving into it a bit, and it's proven a good read thus far... I'm only about three pages in, but nevertheless.

I'm excited to get to know all of you and work with you this semester. It's gonna be a very busy one for me: I have 17 credits, work, and my show (Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, which performs the last three weekends of February and rehearses 3.5 hours nightly Sunday through Friday), in addition to some semblance of a social life and several planned excursions out of state for auditions and the like -- one this weekend even -- but I am feeling really encouraged by the challenging times I have ahead. Let's go, Broncos!

4 comments:

  1. I actually took this class for the same reason you did. I needed a 3000 level class and the fact that it was an honors course was a bonus. After learning about what the class is generally about on the first day, I'm excited to learn more about such a controversial topic like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron I have a lot of respect for you already, tackling 17 credit hours, with work and your show. That is a lot to handle! I actually was in theater back in high school for all four years but I was never the performing type, so I struck to technician work. Best of luck with your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron, I think it's awesome that you're open to learning about climate change and I think this class is going to be a fun way to do it! When you mentioned that you were going to be in Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson on Monday's class I was extremely excited, I hope to come see the show this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also took this class for credit and to be honest, this wasn't what I expected at all! The same as you, I am excited to learn more about this topic and this class seems to be the perfect place to do it.

    ReplyDelete